Certification & TrainingIt's All Included
Driving a Twin-screw Powerboat
Included with your membership is a boat handling and safety course, customized for the use of PYC’s fleet. With many complex systems on these high quality yachts, you’ll need to learn and understand how to drive the boat, but also how to operate the electrical system, powerplants, anchor, GPS navigation, head and plumbing as well as other systems on the yachts.
Beyond the Basics
Once you’ve learned the basics, PYC staff will spend a minimum of two hours on the boat with you, going over the specifics on each of your yachts. After your training, you’re good to go!
This required course is a practical introduction to boat handling and safe powerboat operation for inexperienced powerboat operators. The focus is on building confidence during in-harbor maneuvering to reduce tension and increase boat usage. Course topics include
- Boat systems; safety, electronics, plumbing, engines, yacht care and more.
- Twin-engine operation and helm controls
- Docking; forward, side, and back-in
- Piloting & navigational rules of the road
- Safety procedures.
Partners of boaters will acquire the skills necessary to handle the boat in an emergency.
Course taught by licensed captains at the prestigious Orange Coast College School of Sailing and Seamanship.
- Weekend and Weekday Classes
- One session 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Ability to swim 50 yards. No, you don’t have to swim across the bay to prove it.